Working Papers

If you are under 18 years of age and want to work in the State of New Jersey, you need working papers each time you are hired by an employer. Working papers can be obtained through the Guidance Department at Allentown High School. We can give blank forms to and complete working papers for all students who currently attend Allentown, as well as students who reside in the Upper Freehold Regional School District but do not attend Allentown. Working papers are completed from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm on Mondays-Thursdays and 7:00 am to 2:30 pm on Fridays. (Summer Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00-2:30). These instructions should help you out when filling out the working papers form in case you forget the instructions given to you by guidance staff.

  • Section A (Person Information): Fill in all areas.
  • Section B (Employment information): To be completed by employer, except the last line is for signature of parent/guardian.
  • Section C (Physician's Certification): To be completed by licensed physician. You must have a physical in order to obtain working papers. If you have had a physical from our school doctor at any time since Freshman year, bring the forms to the nurse's office to have her fill them out. If you have had a physical from your private doctor within the past year, he/she can fill out the area without getting a new physical.
  • Section D (Proof of Age): The guidance office is required to keep a copy of your birth certificate, baptismal certificate, OR passport on file when you apply for working papers. The first time you apply for working papers from Guidance, either bring in your birth certificate and we can make a copy of it, or bring in a photocopy which we can keep. You do not need to re-submit birth certificate copies if we have already have a copy on file. Please note that Driver's Licenses are NOT acceptable.
  • Section E (Age Certificate): Issued to persons 18 to 21 years of age. Do not complete this section.
  • Section F (School Record): To be completed by school that the minor attends. Leave blank unless you do not attend Allentown High School. If you or your child does not attend Allentown, you must bring this to the Guidance Department of the school that the child attends before bringing it to Allentown.
  • Section G (Issuing Officer Certification): To be completed by the Guidance Department at AHS after all previous sections have been completed.

Once you have filled in all areas listed above, bring your completed working papers to the Guidance Office. As per state law, Guidance cannot process the papers unless ALL AREAS are filled in prior to turning them in! You will receive the white copy of your working papers back to give to your employer.

Working papers are submitted to the State of New Jersey once a month. Guidance submits the yellow copy to the State (or a photocopy if no 3-part forms are available) and keeps the pink copy (or a photocopy if no 3-part forms are available). If the State of New Jersey finds any problems with your working papers, they will return them to Guidance and you will be called down and have any problems explained to you. The working papers can then be re-submitted the following month. If you have any questions about this process, please speak to Mrs. Baker or Mrs. Essl in the Guidance office.